Thursday, September 25, 2008

shopping...

Ok, so... I am having shopping w/d BIG TIME! I don't really need to buy, just look. ;)

I can't believe how much of nothing we are surrounded by here. In our last city, we had so much and now... a whole lot of nothing. We did walk a little further today than usual and found a couple of places that we might be able to come back and visit. I think the worst thing is the food. So far we have the hotel and ... well, that's about it. We found a little place today, but no one spoke English, there was no English menu and ... no pictures! It's a nightmare! They try to help, but how can they? So, we did meet a really nice girl yesterday who knows some English. She wants to meet us sometime to practice. We thought we might take her to lunch... that way she could help us out some too. :)

Brad thinks there are lots of hidden gems around here... we just have to walk more. Of course, he is willing to eat anything. The rest of us girls that are here (including our 2 new friends, Tina and Marilyn, her mom)... we don't like to just point at some crazy symbols and try whatever they bring out for us. :) Call us picky... but the stomach aches are not worth it.

So, tomorrow we may get to go into town. We are really looking forward to it! We get to develop some pictures of our babies... I know, that makes you jealous... sorry. Can't send any yet. :) She is amazingly cute though! Just wait... time will fly and soon she will be home with us. I can't wait!
Yesterday she turned over by herself for the first time. We were so excited! The people who are in there with us couldn't figure out what the big deal was, but even Tina's little baby clapped with us. :)

Ok. gotta go! Love you all.
Brad and Steph and Alia:)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep we're jealous alright. I keep finding myself imagining what she looks like. We can't wait.

I bought her a present yesterday. I went shopping, looking at all the little girl stuff for Alia and Evelyn.

Hope you bring those pictures back soon, we miss you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you all made my day!!! I guess this is making your day too. What wonderful news and might I add, "It's about time!!" When it's hard to figure God's timing, it's hard to "Stand Still." You all did and what wonderful blessings He has showered on you. I get to go shopping now, too. Can't wait to see Alia and have you all back home TOGETHER! So much in my heart I want to say but will wait for another day.

Good luck on the food thing.

Pam W.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, don't suppose you have any pics of good ole American food with you...not that they would have it, anyway, but it might be orth a shot. Can't wait to see pics and hear more of the how you met stories. And I'm glad to hear that you once again have met friends to share the experience with. And we only have another 3+ weeks to wait...

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting for you to see her roll over for the first time.

Like everyone else, we too are imagining what Alia looks like and I am sure she has the biggest smile.

Don't really have any suggestions for the food issue, I just hope you packed a bunch of TUMS.

Enjoy the crazy experiences of trying to figure out what the heck they are trying to tell you.

Looking forward to the next post,
Becca, Nathan & the boys

Heckert's Highway said...

So sorry about the food issues:O) At least in Shymkent we could find something, although, by the end,
Warren was dying, me too come to think of it! LOL!!!

I can't wait to see that beautiful little girl of yours. I'm already in love and I don't even know her yet. I'm so happy that our kiddos are from the same country, now we all will always be family.

Lots of love to you guys!!
Jenn & cousin Alea

Heckert's Highway said...

Some of the decent food I remember is: Doner, govyadina shashlick(beef steak shish kabobs), borscht, or busso noodles. The other thing I remember would be p-day(the cheese pizza type thing). Brad, have you found any yummy burritos yet? Evidently they are all over Kaz. If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Pudgy Pencils said...

When I was in Siberia they had a dish called "pelmini" that was a really yummy version of meat-wrapped dumplings that kinda look like ravioli w/o the marinara...and in order to find it we'd look for any building that said PECTOPAH (which is actaully pronounced RESTORAN) so we knew it was food even if it seemed obscure...not sure if the language where you are is Russian or Kazakh though so it might not help any...but pelmini was one of the only things I could stomach, so you might ask for it just in case ;) Also the web says that "Packed frozen, pelmeni can be found everywhere Russian communities exist" and I found a pic of a woman eating it in Kazakhstan so maybe it is there too! One could hope :) It's kinda pricey but worth it in my opinion :)

Teresa said...

Jealous?? Me???

Yep.

Okay, so what you need to do in the restaurants is make animal noises! I could have sworn you were with us when we ordered shashlik and started mooing and clucking so they knew which kind we wanted to order!!! Anyhow, this is what I think you should do. :-) Please report back to me how this goes!

Also, do they give you change with gum, matches, mints, calcium pills??? If so, I have a mission for you! Please let me know. :)

Kimberley S said...

Yea I am so excited for you guys. Its about time that you found out everything. Jesus guides us in some crazy routes of life but if was not for him where would we be. Can't wait to her I am sure she is adorable. Keep all good work up.